SMPlayer is a graphical user interface (GUI) for the award-winning MPlayer, which is capable of playing almost all known video and audio formats. But apart from providing access for the most common and useful options of MPlayer, SMPlayer adds other interesting features like the possibility to play Youtube videos or download subtitles.
SMPlayer 17.11 Changelog:
- The video equalizer by software has been fixed.
- The thumbnail generator is now more precise with short videos.
- The audio quality of the audio equalizer has been improved.
- The option "add black borders on fullscreen" has been fixed.
- The option "AC3/DTS passthrough over S/PDIF" has been fixed.
Run the following commands in Terminal to install SMPlayer 17.11, via PPA, on Ubuntu:
|$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rvm/smplayer
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install smplayer smtube smplayer-themes smplayer-skins
For those who prefer Qt4 version, use the new PPA instead
|$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rvm/smplayer-qt4|
Optional, to remove SMPlayer, do:
If you want to uninstall SMPlayer from Ubuntu Systems, run the following commands in Terminal:
|$ sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:rvm/smplayer|
For the qt4 ppa, replace ppa:rvm/smplayer with ppa:rvm/smplayer-qt4 in the code