KStars 2.8.7 features:
- Change your geographic location to see how the view of the sky changes with latitude
- Understand the difference between sidereal days and solar days by changing the speed of simulation
- Attach trails to planets and set a high simulation rate to see their trajectories as they perform retrograde motion
- When technical terms are underlined in blue, click on them to bring up an explanation from the included AstroInfo project
- Explore coordinate systems by switching between equatorial and horizontal coordinates, and perform coordinate conversions in the KStars Astrocalculator
- Learn about various topics in astronomy and astrophysics through the AstroInfo project (part of the KStars Handbook accessible through the Help menu).
- Set the time ahead by a couple 1000 years to see the effects of precession
- Switch on and switch off gravitational lensing effects around the sun to understand Eddington's experiment
- Switch to equatorial coordinates, set simulation rate to 1 year, double click on a star to keep it in focus, and zoom in to see the effects of aberration of light
- Switch to equatorial coordinate, set simulation rate to 1 year, double click on an empty region, to see the effects of precession and nutation.
- Set the time to the distant future to see how the constellations change shape due to the proper motions of stars (prominent in Gemini, for example)
- Right click on any object and open the Details view to easily access lots of information, internet resources, images and professional surveys.
- Obtain sky survey images for any location from the right-click context menu
- Control your observatory using KStars' extensive support for astronomy equipment.
- KStars speaks your language -- you are very likely to find a translation / localization for your region.
- And much more, see the official announcement.
We can add this PPA to Ubuntu Operating Systems and install KStars with few easy commands.
Open terminal and insert command line...
|$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install indi-full kstars-bleeding
Option, remove the PPA after installing KStars 2.8.7 via command:
|$ sudo apt-get remove indi-full kstars-bleeding
$ sudo apt-get autoremove