Inkscape has sophisticated drawing tools with capabilities comparable to Adobe Illustrator, CorelDRAW and Xara Xtreme. It can import and export various file formats, including SVG, AI, EPS, PDF, PS and PNG. It has a comprehensive feature set, a simple interface, multi-lingual support and is designed to be extensible; users can customize Inkscape's functionality with add-ons.
Inkscape 0.92.2 highlights
- Add a control point to the centers of rectangles, circles/ellipses and stars to make it easier to move them and to align them in a precise way. (Video)
- DPI Change: Command line option --dpi-update-method=[none|scale-viewbox|scale-document] to batch-process legacy files.
- Improve selection chemistry z-stack ordering.
- Rework the object panel, including making shortcut handling respect user-defined shortcuts.
- Add ability to generate one path from multiple paths with LPEs in them.
- Automatically fix baseline spacing of <flowDiv> flowed text elements when importing legacy documents.
- GUI: Fix file preview on Windows when using the native file open dialog.
- Printing: Fix crash when printing on Windows.
- Text: Fix tiny font size for sub/superscripts.
- Text: The default style of the text tool can now be changed when nothing is selected.
- GUI: Window position/size was often wrong on startup and when opening new documents.
- Symbols: Fix loading of Visio Stencils from .vss files with special characters in file name.
- See changelog for more
Opening terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and running the command:
|$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:inkscape.dev/stable
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install inkscape