While the latest version available is Wine 1.8.x, you can also install and test Wine 1.9.13(Dev), which is the under-development branch of Wine and brings the below changes:
- New version of the Gecko engine based on Firefox 47.
- More Shader Model 5 support in Direct3D.
- Unicode data updated to Unicode 9.0.0.
- Improvements to GDI paths and metafiles.
- More progress towards the Direct3D command stream.
- Joystick support improvements on Mac OS X.
- Various bug fixes.
In order to successfully install Wine 1.9 on Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus, Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr and derivative systems like Linux Mint 17.x and Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, you need to add the PPA to your system, update the local repository index, and install the wine-staging and winehq-staging packages:
Open terminal and insert command line...
|$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wine/wine-builds
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install --install-recommends wine-staging
$ sudo apt-get install winehq-staging
Optional, to remove wine and revert the changes, do:
|$ sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
$ sudo ppa-purge ppa:wine/wine-builds