Android Studio is built in coordination with the Android platform and supports all of the latest and greatest APIs. If you are developing for Android, you should be using
Android Studio 2.0 includes the following new features that Android developer can use in their workflow :
- Instant Run - For every developer who loves faster build speeds. Make changes and see them appear live in your running app. With many build/run accelerations ranging from VM hot swapping to warm swapping app resources, Instant Run will save you time every day.
- Android Emulator - The new emulator runs ~3x faster than Android’s previous emulator, and with ADB enhancements you can now push apps and data 10x faster to the emulator than to a physical device. Like a physical device, the official Android emulator also includes Google Play Services built-in, so you can test out more API functionality. Finally, the new emulator has rich new features to manage calls, battery, network, GPS, and more.
- Cloud Test Lab Integration - Write once, run anywhere. Improve the quality of your apps by quickly and easily testing on a wide range of physical Android devices in the Cloud Test Lab right from within Android Studio.
- App Indexing Code Generation & Test - Help promote the visibility your app in Google Search for your users by adding auto-generated URLS with the App Indexing feature in Android Studio. With a few click you can add indexable URL links that you can test all within the IDE.
- GPU Debugger Preview - For those of you developing OpenGL ES based games or apps, you can now see each frame and the GL state with the new GPU debugger. Uncover and diagnosis GL rendering issues by capturing and analyzing the GPU stream from your Android device.
- IntelliJ 15 Update - Android Studio is built on the world class Intellij coding platform.
Since Android Studio 2.1.2 is not yet available on any PPA repository, we will go ahead and install it via the source file. Before we do that, we need to first install Oracle Java JDK/JRE 7 which is required for Android Studio to run.
Java 9 appears not to work so stick to Java 7. I have not tried it with Java 8
Open terminal and insert command line...
|$ sudo apt-get purge openjdk*s
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer
$ sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-set-default
Download and Install Android Studio 2.1.2 package
|$ wget https://dl.google.com/dl/android/studio/ide-zips/184.108.40.206/android-studio-ide-143.2915827-linux.zip
$ unzip android-studio-ide-143.2915827-linux.zip
$ cd android-studio/bin