While the latest version available is Wine 1.8.x, you can also install and test Wine 1.9.14(Dev), which is the under-development branch of Wine and brings the below changes:
- More Shader Model 5 support in Direct3D.
- Some more write support in WebServices.
- Performance improvements in GDI.
- Some more progress towards the Direct3D command stream.
- Control ” has no parent window in ExpressQuantumGrid
- Kingsoft Office 2012 can’t read it’s default file
- System Tray Icons Not Appearing In Mac System Tray
- AveraSell 4.3.8 crashes after login (heap corruption)
- Kingsoft Office 2012 Free: Crashes almost immediately after full load
- Shattered Horizon requires d3dx10_43.dll.D3DX10CompileFromMemory
- OPML Editor crashes
- Spellforce Platinium edition – graphical bug – black columns come out of the ground
- COD4 is missing textures
- See the official Wine 1.9.14 (Dev) for further details on the changes present.
In order to successfully install Wine 1.9 on Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus, Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr and derivative systems like Linux Mint 17.x and Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, you need to add the PPA to your system, update the local repository index, and install the wine-staging and winehq-staging packages:
Open terminal and insert command line...
|$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wine/wine-builds
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install --install-recommends wine-staging
$ sudo apt-get install winehq-staging
Optional, to remove wine and revert the changes, do:
|$ sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
$ sudo ppa-purge ppa:wine/wine-builds