SMPlayer is a graphical user interface (GUI) for the award-winning MPlayer, which is capable of playing almost all known video and audio formats. But apart from providing access for the most common and useful options of MPlayer, SMPlayer adds other interesting features like the possibility to play Youtube videos or download subtitles.
SMPlayer 17.12 Changelog:
- SMPlayer works again on Windows XP (32 bit packages only).
- Two new actions to take screenshots with or without subtitles (they only work when using mpv). Assigned by default to Ctrl+Shift+S and Ctrl+Alt+S.
- New action which displays the filename in the OSD for 2 seconds. Assigned by default to Shift+O.
- New option osd_bar_pos for smplayer.ini. It specifies the position of the OSD bar (0 = top, 100 = bottom).
- The support for DVD menus has been removed. It never worked well and also mpv already removed support for it a long time ago.
- The option to open an informative page after an upgrade has been removed.
Run the following commands in Terminal to install SMPlayer 17.12, via PPA, on Ubuntu:
|$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rvm/smplayer
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install smplayer smtube smplayer-themes smplayer-skins
For those who prefer Qt4 version, use the new PPA instead
|$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rvm/smplayer-qt4|
Optional, to remove SMPlayer, do:
If you want to uninstall SMPlayer from Ubuntu Systems, run the following commands in Terminal:
|$ sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:rvm/smplayer|
For the qt4 ppa, replace ppa:rvm/smplayer with ppa:rvm/smplayer-qt4 in the code