One of the most interesting features of SMPlayer: it remembers the settings of all files you play. So you start to watch a movie but you have to leave... don't worry, when you open that movie again it will be resumed at the same point you left it, and with the same settings: audio track, subtitles, volume...
SMPlayer is a graphical user interface (GUI) for the award-winning MPlayer, which is capable of playing almost all known video and audio formats. But apart from providing access for the most common and useful options of MPlayer, SMPlayer adds other interesting features like the possibility to play Youtube videos or download subtitles.
Version 17.1 features experimental support for Chromecast. Now you can send videos from SMPlayer to your Chromecast device, including local files from your computer and online streams like TV channels or videos from sites like YouTube, Dailymotion, Vimeo, Vevo and many more. More info.
SMPlayer 17.1.0 Changelog
- Experimental support to play videos on Chromecast.
- Support for some of the #EXTVLCOPT options in m3u/m3u8 playlists. This may help to play online streams from playlists intended for VLC.
- New options in the context menu of the playlist: 'copy URL to clipboard', 'open source folder' and 'play on Chromecast'.
- Option to display bitrate information in the status bar.
- Possibility to display the playback time with milliseconds in the status bar.
- The option to add black borders on fullscreen is back (Preferences -> General -> Video).
- The option in the playlist to delete files from the disk has been removed.
Run the following commands in Terminal to install SMPlayer 17.1.0, via PPA, on Ubuntu:
|$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rvm/smplayer-qt4
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install smplayer smplayer-themes smplayer-skins
Optional, to remove SMPlaye, do:
If you want to uninstall SMPlayer from Ubuntu Systems, run the following commands in Terminal:
|$ sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:rvm/smplayer|
For the qt4 ppa, replace ppa:rvm/smplayer with ppa:rvm/smplayer-qt4 in the code